Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

The Book Ban Crisis



It's so easy to buy books on Kindle.  Too easy.  I'm going to make a new concerted effort to put a hold on it. I can name drop if I want to, as I did last post with Greil Marcus. But I've really got to get a handle on this contemporary Dispepsia. Which is in fact a Neurasthenia, brought on by dissipation in the form of spending, not of seed, but of cold hard cash. It gives a nice little rush, followed by a feeling of guilt and a feeling of having failed ones-self, again. Concerning which dissipation, just now finished reading a nice little novel which is tucked away in a big anthology of banned books which I bought some time ago, on the rationalization that dipping into it is not a "slip". Poppycock. It's a slip.  I have this electronic stack of books I'm supposed to be working on. So, we begin again.  
The dirty book by the way was The Awakening, by Kate Chopin. No dirty book by any means, by our standards, but quite charming and I suppose one could say titillating if one's libido were thermostatically that of  someone in his or her thirties. I found it just sweet. And, I loved the little asides concerning horse drawn transportation; the "cabs", the "cars", (horse drawn trolleys), the cabriolets, and the whatnots....tktk , some of which I have driven, having been employed as a driver of horse drawn vehicles as a teenager. 

I'm finishing up now Prentice Mulford's The God in You, with the intention of going right on to Your Forces and How to Use Them, which I'm looking forward to, but I'm going to put that aside until I read at least two from my unread list. That way, at least someday, I might get caught up. It would be good for my psychological health, such as it is.     
I think I should get back to that book about Holism, Holism and Evolution 1927, by Jan Christian Smuts, which I felt so smug about discovering a year ago. (Who did I feel smug TO? I know the answer to that! My audience of invisible friends!) It's true and I'm not embarrassed about it, in fact I'm kind of proud. Smuts seems to have been a great thinker and an important contributor to 19th century life who was swept under the rug by revisionism. I'll continue to pick away at The Saroyan Reader, try to finish Sinclair's Mental Radio, which is in fact kind of a bore, but I'm doing research I guess. Also, I bought The Cliff's Notes for Middlemarch, and that's a bought commitment which I intend to get to, but without buying the novel itself until the aforementioned new rule is enacted.  
I'm in the middle of Remote Viewing Secrets, by Joseph McMoneagle, which I must finish..., research again..., and The Outsider, by Colin Wilson, (My intention there is to read his book about the occult, but that also will have to wait until I've Enacted the New Rule.  
There are a bunch of others, some on my Goodreads list, but none seem to me to be crying out to be finished right now...for instance, The Art Spirit, by Robert Henri, which I bought when I was having an enthusiasm for Stuart Davis....Russian History, A Captivating Guide to the History of Russia, by Captivating History...that must be an editorial mistake, I mean who is named Captivating? or History?  ...anyway...I wrote this Post for my own personal erudition as it were.  As in, Memo to Self.  

P.S. The buying urge wants me to pick up West's The Thinking Reed, but, uhnt uh. Not till a space opens.  
P.P.S. I'm sure you've figured out that part of the reason for the catch-up is that I'm not able to actually contribute any of my own thoughts when I get this stretched out. I promise to remedy that, for what it's worth.  
P.P.S.  I wish I had written Walter Benjamin at The Dairy Queen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Incomplete Essay Concerning Psychosomatic Brain Function

    In the course of trying to educate myself about psycho-somatic medicine for the further understanding of my already discussed rip-roarin...